If you’ll be in East London on Saturday, September 22nd, we know a party you definitely should check out.
The Hewett Street Block Party is going to be a bonafide fun time extravaganza. Running from 12pm – 9pm on Saturday 22nd September, Protein has curated a free showcase of the best design, food, music, and art coming out of East London right now.
Coinciding with this year’s London Design Festival (and Protein’s 15th Birthday), the Hewett Street Block Party will feature stalls hosted by a roster of our favourite local designers, friends and family including: Not Another Bill, GetMe!, super/collider, Jaguar Shoes Collective, Ditto Press and AC Projects.
They’ve also got premier barbershop Murdock coming down with their barber chair to give out complimentary shaves and Ornamental Conifer setting up his signage, helmets and other collectables around his motor bike. Opposite that will be Aesop’s Tokyo Bike, where they will be giving out free products, so you can leave looking and smelling super fresh too.
And of course, no Protein event would be complete without food. They brought together London’s absolute finest down for one day only:
- Elliot’s and their world famous burgers
- Family, a group of artists, journalists, filmmakers, food bloggers and friends serving up Kimchi Quesadillas, F.A.T. Pickles, Hurricane Popcorn and Portuguese-inspired home down sandwiches
- Banhmi11 will offer up hand-crafted gourmet Vietnamese baguettes
- Meat specialists Picco Salumi bring a variety of cured meats – all organic, traceable and sourced within 100 miles of London – including Finocchiona-Salame Bastardo made with grass fed beef, pork back fat and barolo wine
- Rita’s Bar and Dining are moving into 18 Hewett Street for the day with their ‘Rita Lime Pie’ and other sweet treats.
Adding to the list, they have renowned London pop-up collective Street Feast bringing their street food trucks into the mix:
- Yum Jungle are serving up a delectable Thai fried chicken hybrid and introducing a brand new squid dish
- Sorbitium Ices will be trading ice creams, sorbets, sherbets and granitas out of their classic HY Citroen van
- Vinn Goute bring Seychelles-inspired octopus coconut curry, parrot fish cakes, and grilled Trevally steaks
- And last but not least, Protein favourite, Big Apple Hot Dogs will be back on Hewett Street for the third time, bringing the best hot dogs in town … hands down.
Also sharing the gallery space is record label / publishing house Belly Kids, who are putting on exhibition ‘Eat Everything’ with Occult Pizzas 3D Pineapples, Pop-up Mince Meat Maidens and a futuristic, one of a kind bespoke pizza making turbine. Also launching is The Shelf at Protein their brand new, in-house magazine store with some of the world’s best food and art publications that they love (and have the UK exclusive for) including ACQTASTE, Wilder, and Lucky Peach.
For drinks, Protein will be running a “Locals Only” bar where everyone is welcome to try London Fields Brewery lager, Dalston Cola and Hewett Street Slushies. The Protein coffee shop by DunneFrankowski will be open as usual, but with a few alcoholic additions to the usual menu.
The main reason Protein is throwing the Hewett Street Block Party is to say a big thank you to all that have made Hewett street so special. With the upcoming plans to demolish the entire block between Hewett Street and Hearn Street, they think there’s no better time than now. All profits from the day will be donated to London-based children’s charity Hackney Pirates so they can continue their inspiring and innovative education projects. And to help kickstart this, they’re running a Raffle Stall full of incredible prizes including goodies from Dishoom, Young Turks, and Secret Cinema.
There’s a lot to take in, we know. Saturday September 22nd, save the date, bring cash and come hungry.
And as for music? Protein will be releasing the line-up over the next week on Facebook, stay clued up and connected here.
Source : Protein